Computer Programmer Job Description
A computer programmer is a person whose job is to write computer programs. Their work usually starts after a software developer or engineer have provided them with a worked out design specification for a software project. After studying the design specification, they write programs in java, python or another language to implement the software.
A computer programmer should be well organized, enthusiastic, curious, patient, logical and detail-oriented, and have the ability to sit at a computer, writing programs for long periods of time. They should be fluent in several programming languages and able to self-study to learn new programming skills and stay updated on new technologies.
What does a Computer Programmer do?
Computer programmers may do some or all of the following:
- assist software developers in designing software programs
- write programs according to specifications
- insert comments in the program source code
- debug and test programs to ensure they’re working properly
- update, repair, modify and expand existing programs
Where does a Computer Programmer work?
Computer programmers spend much of their time in front of a computer writing codes, and their job can be stressful due to the technicality involved. Their working hours may be flexible but involves long hours, especially around deadlines.
Computer programmers usually work alone, but may work with others and sometimes under the supervision of engineers or developers. They work in offices, but may also work from home, especially when self-employed.
What is Required to Become a Computer Programmer?
There are no educational requirements to become a computer programmer, but a degree in computer science or a related discipline is helpful. Employers will prefer to hire candidates with programming talent or experience of computer programming than candidates with just academic qualifications.
Computer programmers can obtain relevant certification from well-known companies such as Microsoft or Oracle to boost their chances of getting a job.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Computer programmers need to have:
- discipline and determination
- mathematical aptitude
- good attention to detail
- good interpersonal skills
- good judgment and decision making skills
- good listening and communication skills
- time management and organizational skills
- analytical and problem solving skills
- technical and programming skills
- leadership and business skills
- the ability to concentrate for long periods
- the ability to work well under pressure
- the ability to learn and apply new knowledge
- the ability to read and understand other people’s code
- knowledge of computer languages such as C++, C# or java
- knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis
- knowledge of how the internet works
- knowledge of computer systems and processes
Should I be a Computer Programmer?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Computer Scientist
- Computer Support Specialist
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Game Programmer
- Software Developer
- Web Developer
- Database Administrator
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at mail[at]careersome[dot]com