Intern, GIS Development at eHealth Africa - Kanowork eHealth AfricaplaceKanoDate Posted: 2018-04-13
eHealth Africa designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
We leverage our staff and department expertise across five programmatic areas:
- Health Delivery Systems
- Public Health Emergency Management Systems
- Disease Surveillance Systems
- Laboratory & Diagnostic Systems
- Nutrition & Food Security Systems
In each of these programmatic areas, we partner with governments, communities, nonprofits and other stakeholders to generate holistic solutions, because we believe that every community deserves access to the types of tools that can enable them to lead healthier lives.
The aim of the internship will be to enhance the theoretical knowledge of the intern through substantive and operational engagement in GIS Department of eHA.
The eHA GIS department has collected a wide variety of spatial and non-spatial datasets over the course of six years. While the majority of the data has been used to support specific projects and operational work, the GIS department is currently focused on building geospatial products to support projects in the programmatic areas identified above within the West and Central African region.
The objective of this internship will, therefore, be to support and contribute to the software development operations process carried out within the eHA GIS team in supporting health projects.
3. Description of Tasks
The intern will initiate/assist/report/monitor and develop the following initiatives, and the planning of regular meetings as well as facilitate knowledge exchange.
The intern will be expected to:
- Assist with the analysis, design, development, testing, and documentation of new software
- Utilise the department development infrastructure, software processes, and software programming techniques and provide feedback as appropriate
- Contribute to building a productive and pleasant working environment using senior team members as role models
- Assist in the development and configuration of software needed to improve on an existing solution in the GIS department.
- Communicate finding and facilitates knowledge dissemination and exchange among various interested parties.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the head of department or line manager.
4. Required Outputs
- Upon completion of the internship, the intern shall produce a comprehensive report that explains what they have learned during the internship period and how that impacts their career journey and do a presentation to the department.
- Tasks developed in a professional and efficient way, focusing on end-results and delivering high-quality products
5. Advantage /Benefits
As an intern, you will take part in cutting-edge technology and other activities and projects that contribute to bringing solutions to health challenges in Nigeria. The diversity of our team means that you will find yourself working in multicultural teams with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures who have wide perspectives, experiences, expectations as well as approaches. Knowledge of the region’s political, socioeconomic and cultural dynamics will be gained. eHA’s interns also gain a first-hand perception of the day-to-day working environment of eHA. You will be given a real chance to work with our team of outstanding and inspiring career professionals and senior managers. Within the organization, you might have the chance to be exposed to conferences, participate in meetings, and contribute to analytical work as well as on-the-ground projects. Upon the successful conclusion of the assignment, will provide a certificate for the interns that fulfill their commitments with integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity.
6. Skills to be developed
- The intern will develop a strong knowledge of the software development cycle
- The intern will gain exposure to real-world projects development processes and concerns
- The intern will gain exposure to cutting-edge technologies
- The intern will develop better report writing skills in software solutions context to non-technical audience
The intern will work under the supervision of the Associate Manager, Technical GIS.
eHA Headquarters, Kano, Nigeria
10. Required eHA competencies:
- Ability to use Github for version control.
- Ability to use Google suite apps (Gmail, Docs, Google Sheet, Hangouts)
- Effectively presents data and information in a way amenable to sharing with colleagues
- Listens well to instructions and feedback
- Teamwork oriented with sound communication skills
- Punctual, reliable with organizational and time management skills
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results
- High level of creativity and strong apt for learning new skills
- Good interpersonal skills – able to work well in a team environment
- Ability to show initiative.
Click here to apply
Subscribe to our mailing listSubscribe