Electrical and Electronics Installer and Repairer Job Description
An electrical and electronics installer and repairer is a person who assembles, installs, tests, adjusts, repairs and maintains electronic and electronic systems and equipment. Electrical and electronics installers and repairers assemble and install electrical and electronics systems and equipment, and also inspect and test these systems and equipment to diagnose and repair malfunctions.
An electrical and electronic installer and repairer should be curious, analytical, safety–conscious, and able to follow instructions. They should have good understanding of basic electrical and electronic principles, and the ability to read and interpret circuit diagrams. They should also have good customer service skills.
What does an Electrical and Electronics Installer and Repairer do?
Electrical/Electronics installer and repairers may do some or all of the following:
- discuss with clients to understand problems
- test faulty systems, diagnose and analyze faults
- refer to manufacturers instruction manuals to determine how to troubleshoot difficult problems
- read and interpret electrical/electronic blueprints, schematics and manuals
- prepare work cost estimates for clients
- install, repair and maintain electronic systems
- repair or replace faulty electronic parts
- keep records of works done
- work as sales agent for electrical/electronic equipment manufacturers
Where does an Electrical and Electronics Installer and Repairer work?
Electrical and electronic installers and repairers usually work normal office hours, but may sometimes work evenings and weekends, or be on call. They work in factories, service centers and repair workshops. They may travel to their clients’ homes or offices to carry out repairs or maintenance works.
What is Required to Become an Electrical and Electronics Installer and Repairer ?
To become an electrical/electronic installer and repairer, you will need to complete a specialized training program at a technical college or an apprenticeship program with a professional in the field.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Electrical/Electronics installer and repairerss need to have:
- manual dexterity
- honesty and dependability
- good eyesight and normal color vision
- good hand-eye coordination
- good listening and communication skills
- math and computer skills
- troubleshooting skills
- the ability to work well under pressure
- the ability to work with small parts
- the ability to operate electrical and electronics tools and equipment
- the ability to work on energized circuits confidently and in a safe manner
- knowledge of electronic circuits and the ability to read and interpret circuit diagrams
- knowledge of electrical/electronic safety procedures
- knowledge of electronic theory
Should I be an Electrical and Electronics Installer and Repairer ?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Electrical Engineering Tech
- Aircraft Mechanic
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at mail[at]careersome[dot]com