Insurance Agent Job Description
An insurance agent is a person who represents an insurance firm in selling insurance policies to clients. Insurance agents talk to prospective clients to understand their insurance needs, and then provide them with the insurance policies that suit the needs for some compensation. Products sold by insurance agents include health, home, auto and life insurance.
An insurance agent should be enthusiastic, proactive, persistent, friendly and helpful, and have the ability to relate to a wide variety of people and handle objections and rejections. They should have an in-depth understanding of the insurance products they’re selling and the ability to communicate effectively to explain the products to clients.
What does an Insurance Agent do?
Insurance agents may do some or all of the following:
- talk to clients to understand their insurance needs
- explain insurance packages to clients
- calculate premiums
- maintain insurance records
- settle and monitor insurance claims
- handle policy renewals
Where does an Insurance Agent work?
Insurance agents may work normal office hours or irregular schedules, at the convenience of their clients. They work indoors in offices and outdoors in the field with customers. They may travel to meet clients.
What is Required to Become an Insurance Agent?
There are no standard educational requirements to become an insurance agent, but a degree in insurance, finance, or mathematics is helpful. Insurance agents receive on-the-job training. They are required to be licensed to practice.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Insurance agents need to have:
- self confidence
- honesty and integrity
- good attention to detail
- good listening and communication skills
- good judgment and decision making skills
- interviewing and presentation skills
- organizational skills
- the ability to be relatable
- the ability to work well under pressure
- the ability to analyze and explain insurance policies and procedures
- knowledge of accounting, economics, marketing and finance
- knowledge of insurance policies
- knowledge of the insurance industry
- knowledge of customer service principles
Should I be an Insurance Agent?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Sales Representative
- Bank Worker
- Financial Analyst
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at mail[at]careersome[dot]com