Marketing Manager Job Description
A marketing manager is person who is employed by a company to manage their day to day marketing activities. Their work involves conceiving and developing marketing strategies, supervising and motivating a team of marketers, coordinating and evaluating marketing campaigns, studying market trends and suggesting ways to improve the company’s products and services.
A marketing manager should be well organized, enthusiastic, reliable, likeable, innovative and confident, and have the ability to work in a team environment, supervise, monitor, and lead others. They should be good at communicating and able to relate well to a wide range of people, as they work with a variety of professionals. They should ensure that they understand and follow markets better than the competitions.
What does a Marketing Manager do?
Marketing managers may do some or all of the following:
- prepare and manage marketing activities and budgets
- develop marketing strategies in line with company objectives
- coordinate and evaluate marketing campaigns
- research and analyze market trends
- study competitors products and services
- identify target markets and develop strategies to reach them
- give advice on improving company products and creating new ones
- write reports about marketing activities and report to senior management
- hire, supervise, counsel and motivate marketers
- attend trade fairs, conferences and seminars to promote products
Where does a Marketing Manager work?
Marketing managers usually work normal office hours, but may sometimes work evenings and weekends to meet deadlines. They work indoors in offices and outdoors in the field, but may also travel to other branches of the companies or to visit customers.
What is Required to Become a Marketing Manager ?
To become a marketing manager, you will need to have marketing and management experience. Having a degree in advertising, marketing, business, communication or a similar discipline is helpful.
Secondary school students interested in becoming marketing managers should take preparatory subjects such as math, business, economics, statistics and computer science.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Marketing managers need to have:
- creativity and innovation
- confidence and assertiveness
- social perceptiveness
- honesty and Integrity
- good attention to detail
- good listening and communication skills
- good judgment and decision making skills
- persuasion and negotiation skills
- time management and organizational skills
- problem solving skills
- math and computer skills
- interviewing and presentation skills
- report writing skills
- sales and marketing skills
- leadership and networking skills
- effective budgeting skills
- the ability to work well independently and in a team
- the ability to work calmly under pressure
- the ability to analyze information and explain processes
- the ability to coordinate multiple tasks at one time
- the ability to relate to people from a range of cultures and background
- knowledge of a wide range of marketing techniques and concepts
- knowledge of products and services offered by their company
- knowledge of competitors products and services
- knowledge of market research
- knowledge of project management principles and practice
Should I be a Marketing Manager ?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Market Research Analyst
- Sales Manager
- Financial Manager
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at mail[at]careersome[dot]com