Newscast Director Job Description
A newscast director also known as a news technical director is someone whose job is to direct and oversee the technical aspects of a newscast. Their job involves collaborating with news producers and other members of the news crew to plan and execute newscasts, directing camera and video staff on the set up and execution of video transitions and special effects, and troubleshooting technical problems before and during newscasts.
A newscast director should be well organized, flexible, creative, quick-thinking, observant and decisive, and have technical skills to operate news production equipment. They should have the ability to analyze and interpret information and perform under demanding conditions. They should also be able to communicate effectively and work well in team.
What does a Newscast Director do?
Newscast directors may do some or all of the following:
- direct and supervise all technical aspects of newscasts
- act as liaison between the production and engineering crew
- supervise the setting up of studio equipment for newscasts
- test broadcast equipment before newscast to ensure proper operation
- monitor broadcast equipment during newscast and troubleshoot technical problems
- train news staff in the technical operations of creating newscasts and in the use of specialized equipment such as studio cameras, video switchers, audio boards and microphones
- edit audiovisuals for news broadcast
- report to the news director
Where does a Newscast Director work?
Newscast directors may work irregular hours that include early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays. They work in the production control rooms of radio/television studios and on mobile production trucks, during outside broadcasts on locations.
What is Required to Become a Newscast Director ?
To become a newscast director, you will need a degree in broadcasting, communication or a related discipline. Employers will prefer to hire candidates with experience of live and recorded studio directing and vision mixing.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Newscast directors need to have:
- manual dexterity
- confidence and assertiveness
- determination and resilience
- adaptability and versatility
- physical and mental stamina
- good visual sense
- good hand-eye coordination
- good judgment and decision making skills
- good listening and communication skills
- time management and organizational skills
- analytical and problem solving skills
- networking skills
- leadership and negotiating skills
- technical and computer skills
- interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team
- the ability to work well under pressure and concentrate for long periods
- knowledge of news production equipment, including video switchers, teleprompter, audio consoles and news cameras
- knowledge of software applications such as ENPS and adobe Photoshop
- knowledge of health and safety in the workplace
Should I be a Newscast Director ?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Camera Operator
- Film and Video Editor
- Broadcast Engineer
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at mail[at]careersome[dot]com