Photographer Job Description
A photographer is someone whose job is to take photographs of people, animal, places, objects or events. Photographers use cameras to produce still images of people, places or things, capturing moments and preserving memories. They may specialize in capturing a particular type of image, such as portraits, weddings, sports, or underwater images.
A photographer should be well organized, creative, ambitious, detail-oriented and approachable, and have the ability to make people feel relaxed and at ease. They should have good technical understanding of photography and a steady hand. They should also have networking skills and strong business acumen to promote and market their services,if they are self employed.
Pursue a career in photography if you are friendly and creative, and enjoy taking photographs.
What does a Photographer do?
Photographers may do some or all of the following:
- discus photo shoots with clients
- direct clients on how to pose
- arrange cameras, lights, and background before shooting
- use various photographic techniques and equipment
- take pictures
- use photo editing software to improve picture quality
- design albums or books for clients
- advertise and manage their business
- teach photography classes or conduct workshops
Where does a Photographer work?
Most photographers are self employed, but many others work for:
- Television broadcast companies
- Newspaper and magazine publishers
- Government agencies
- Advertising agencies
- Portrait studios
- Fashion houses
- The police
Photographers may work long or irregular hours including evenings, weekends and public holidays, as their working time depends on when their clients require their services. They work in offices, studios and darkrooms, but may also travel to photo-shoot locations.
What is Required to Become a Photographer?
There are no formal requirements to become a photographer, but employers will require you to have a good work portfolio. You can gain skills and experience by assisting a professional photographer.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Photographers need to have:
- manual dexterity
- physical stamina
- dependability and punctuality
- imagination and creativity
- good eyesight and normal color vision
- good concentration
- good hand-eye co-ordination
- good listening and communication skills
- good judgment and decision making skills
- networking and business skills
- the ability to keep calm under pressure
- the ability to be friendly and polite
- the ability to improvise
- the ability to listen to their clients and anticipate their needs
- the ability to accept and respond well to criticism
- the ability to relate to a wide variety of people
- knowledge of cameras, flashes, lenses and computers
- knowledge of how to control light and achieve different photographic effects
- knowledge of the latest photographic methods and equipment
- knowledge of digital imaging software such as Photoshop and Lightroom
Should I be a Photographer?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Camera Operator
- Fine Artist
- Graphic Designer
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at mail[at]careersome[dot]com