Software Developer Job Description
A software developer is person who designs and implements computer programs and applications. Their job involves developing design specifications to create software, writing the source code to build the software, and producing instructions, tutorials, and reference information for the software use. They also review existing software tools, techniques, and products to improve or modify them.
Software developers may be referred to as software engineers, but not all software developers are engineers, as one will need to have at least a bachelor’s degree in engineering to be called an engineer. Software developers are known as software architects, programmers, applications software developers or systems software developers.
A software developer should be enthusiastic, curious, imaginative, creative, adaptable, and detail oriented, and have the ability to think methodically and logically. They should be able to communicate effectively to convey ideas and instructions clearly. They should also have self-development skills to learn and apply new knowledge and stay updated on new technologies.
What does a Software Developer do?
Software developers may do some or all of the following:
- discuss with clients to understand their requirements
- work out design specifications for programs
- write programs for the software implementation or oversee programmers who write them
- run tests to ensure the created programs are working properly
- produce instructions, tutorials, and reference information for the software use
- research on new products and technologies
Where does a Software Developer work?
Software developers usually work normal office hours, but may sometimes work evenings and weekends to meet deadlines. They work in offices, but may travel to meet clients.
What is Required to Become a Software Developer?
To become a software developer, you will need to have a degree in computer science, software programming, software engineering, or a related discipline.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Software developers need to have:
- creativity and innovation
- discipline and determination
- adaptability and versatility
- mathematical aptitude
- good attention to detail
- good interpersonal skills
- good judgment and decision making skills
- good listening and communication skills
- time management and organizational skills
- analytical and problem solving skills
- technical and programming skills
- leadership and business skills
- self-learning skills
- the ability to concentrate for long periods
- the ability to work well under pressure
- the ability to read and understand other people’s code
- knowledge of software evelopment process models
- knowledge of relational database
- knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis
- knowledge of how the internet works
- knowledge of computer systems and processes
Should I be a Software Developer?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Electronic Discovery Specialist
- Computer Scientist
- Computer Programmer
- Computer Support Specialist
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Game Programmer
- Web Developer
- Database Administrator
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at mail[at]careersome[dot]com