Assistant Technical Officer, Environmental Health at FHI 360work FHI 360placeBornoDate Posted: 2019-10-08
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. We are recruiting to fill the position of an Assistant Technical Officer, Environmental Health in Gamboru Ngala, Borno.
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- The Assistant Technical Officer, Environmental Health Officer will provide technical and programmatic support in one of the three field sites. Under the supervision of the WASH Coordinator, the Environmental Health Officer will monitor and train Community Volunteers on their hygiene promotion to IDPs.
- Other responsibilities will also include training volunteers and community/camp leaders on safe waste management practices, and providing support on activities related to environmental health at the health clinic.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide day to day operational and programmatic support to all WASH & Health activities.
- Works closely with assigned team to ensure activities are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Build capacity of Community Volunteers (CHWs) through waste management trainings and hygiene promotion.
- Oversee activities related to hygiene and environmental health promotion at field site and additionally, at the health facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BA/BS in field related to WASH with 1 to 3 years’ relevant experience with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
- Familiarity with Humanitarian NGOs.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming in emergency situations.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regards to waste management and hygiene promotion.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa communication.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply.
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Click here to join our Telegram community
Click here to report a suspicious job posting
Subscribe to our mailing listSubscribe
Find information about a company or warn innocent job seekers about scam companies. Click here for more information