Communications Assistant at WaterAidwork WaterAidplaceAbujaDate Posted: 2021-04-12
WaterAid, an international non-for-profit organization, is hiring a Communications Assistant in Abuja.
Duration: 2 years, Fixed term
Purpose of Role
- The Communications Assistant will provide support to the Communications and Media team in all aspects of communications, media and the team’s support to country programme campaigns and advocacy efforts
- He/she will play an important role in supporting our social media advocacy, advocacy to stakeholders, events organisation, publications, documentation and several campaigns.
Primary tasks for the Communications Assistant will include support to -
- Successfully promote and strengthen the profile of WaterAid Nigeria through the media and other exhibition opportunities.
- Facilitate communications and media needs for WASH campaigns, WaterAid key events and coordinate support to Civil Society and Media Networks.
- Implement WaterAid's communication strategy in Nigeria and ensure compliance with all branding requirements in the Country Programme.
- Follow-up on advocacy efforts to key stakeholders.
- Coordinate WaterAid Nigeria’s support to national and state level media and CSO networks.
- Research and develop content for press statements, speeches, popular campaign materials, briefing notes, media publications, newsletters, bulletins, blogs and case studies.
Supporting Team Members:
The Communications Assistant will specifically support with more routine deliverables of the communications and media team, including:
- Arrange already developed content for WaterAid Nigeria’s newsletter and develop an e-version newsletter for electronic dissemination.
- Ensure that key information on WASH issues is captured, documented and shared through media and online monitoring (print, broadcast and digital) and maintenance of media and photo database.
- Develop content for website and ensure WaterAid Nigeria website.
- Support to manage WaterAid Nigeria’s social media accounts.
- Maintain and update stakeholders’ databases, publication listserv and social media tracking tool.
- Transcribing minutes, meeting notes and interviews
- Providing administrative support such as responding to routine correspondence, handle invites to country programme events (letters, mails, follow up and support stakeholder engagements) etc.
- Supporting the organisation of meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Other duties that may be assigned.
Skills / Abilities / Personal Qualities:
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills - Communicating information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will easily understand.
- Computer literate, including strong online research skills and Microsoft packages.
- Experience and ability in taking good pictures; in using publishing and layout software (such as Adobe Indesign) and photo software such as Photoshop will be an added advantage.
- Must be organised, able to plan and prioritise.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team setting.
- Ability to deliver work on time and to a high standard.
- Show Initiative and be creative - willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to organise events, meetings and campaigns with minimum supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- 4-year University Degree in Mass Communication or relevant Social Sciences.
Work Experience / Specific Knowledge
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in the area of communication and or media relations.
- Strong English writing and oral skills.
- Experience in preparing reports and case studies.
- Knowledge of/ experience of photography and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Knowledge of website/content management systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft packages particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Team player.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- 2 years’ development experience, preferably in WASH sector.
- Communication skills.
- Articulate with above average presentation skills.
- Knowledge of layout and publishing software.
- Existing links and network within the WASH sector.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Time management and ability to prioritise tasks.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual and multi-country team.
Our People Promise:
- We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
- In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
- This is our pledge to you.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply on or before 15th April, 2021.
- WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
- We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
Click here to join our Telegram community
Click here to report a suspicious job posting
Subscribe to our mailing listSubscribe