News Editor at The BBCwork The BBCplaceAbujaDate Posted: 2019-10-09
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. We are hiring News Editors in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Responsible for managing a small team of Journalists, with editorial responsibility for a small programme or service.
- Lead on digital transformation of the service
- Develop and maintain high professional standards of journalism, ensuring delivery of high quality news programmes
- Determine the content and running order of the programme and lead others on the production of items through to transmission, including assigning, briefing and determining priorities for operational and editorial teams
- Continue the development of the programme across social media and digital platforms, exploring the potential for expanding
- Responsible for building morale/team spirit within permanent or temporary teams; ensuring the best use of individual skills/abilities. Encouraging team members to think about how to do things better
- Sets challenging team and individual objectives and trusts people to get on with them, shares clear expectations about required performance levels, rewards success and addresses performance issues quickly and fairly, treats team members with
- Seek ways to increase diversity in our workforce and to ensure that our output reflects the audiences we serve
- Assist in the development, commissioning and management of relevant business plans and manage individual programme budgets, ensuring value for money in use of resources
- To act as a facilitator of change, clearly communicating and sharing best practices are shared between teams
- Foster an environment of productive employee relations and responding to and anticipating challenges from staff, unions and audiences
- Responsible for ensuring safe working practices and the observance of BBC’s health and safety regulations, including completing hazard assessments
- A full command and up to date knowledge of Hausa (first or equivalent)
- Fluent in English, both in written and spoken form
- Deep understanding of digital technology and the internet and real knowledge of the potential of new technology is essential.
- A track record of original current affairs journalism on multimedia platforms with an extensive knowledge of the Nigerian media landscape and its needs at a time of fast changing consumption habits by our audiences.
- Wide, thorough and up to date familiarity with the areas in Africa to which the Service broadcasts and an in-depth understanding of the areas’ history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs in the target areas and a working knowledge of regions of Africa outside your target area. A thorough knowledge of, and interest in, international and British current affairs, as they affect the target areas.
- An extensive knowledge of the media situation in the target area and how it is developing. Ability to anticipate changes in the market and to plan and guide the Service’s output accordingly.
- Ability to contribute to BBC World Service regional strategy and to function as an effective member of the BBC Africa Direction team.
- Either a professional journalist or a senior operational professional with extensive editorial experience of broadcast news and the ability to develop and implement new and innovative approaches to programme structure and content
- Proven editorial judgement and flair, able to make sound decisions quickly
- A detailed understanding of the latest techniques and technology for newsgathering and production. An ability to use new technologies to create opportunities to enhance output and improve working practices
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
- Can identify a vision along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues etc. in the short, medium and longer-term
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- Able to prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing, programme budgets and resource requirements
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output
- Maintains personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy
- A thorough knowledge of the BBC’s Guidelines (including Health & Safety) and the editorial considerations and values relating to BBC
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- Typically directly manages a group of SBJs and/or a small number of Assistant Editors. Typically responsible for team size under 40 people.
Click here to join our Telegram community
Click here to report a suspicious job posting
Subscribe to our mailing listSubscribe
Find information about a company or warn innocent job seekers about scam companies. Click here for more information