Nutrition Assistant at Save the Childrenwork Save the ChildrenplaceKebbi, NigeriaDate Posted: 2021-11-25
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- Support implementation of nutrition activities by providing technical input and guidance to Breakthrough ACTION (BA) Nigeria staff, LGA Supervisors, Community Volunteers (CVs) and LGA Support Team.
Scope of the Role
- Reports to: MNCH+N Advisor (SCI) and State Coordinator BA (CCP)
- Staff reporting to this post: none
- Budget Responsibilities: none
Support Strengthening BA’s Capacity on Nutrition:
- In collaboration with the MNCH+N Advisor, train BA staff and stakeholders on nutrition related topics.
- Support the development of strategies, workplans, materials, etc. related to nutrition interventions within the BA program
- In collaboration with the State Coordinator, participate in nutrition coordination and advocacy activities with state and local governments, USAID HPN and Agric IPs, and nurture linkages with other partners towards improved nutrition in families and communities
- Support implementation of the integrated SBC approach in the state as assigned
Support Nutrition SBC Implementation:
- Provide technical assistance to CVs, LGA supervisors and WDCs on MNCH and nutrition, with focus on the implementation of effective methodologies to improve nutrition knowledge, attitudes and practices of pregnant women and mothers
- Provide technical support and guidance to Women Empowerment Groups to implementation activities related to nutrition such as cooking demonstration session during their meetings
- In collaboration with WDCs and SBC-ACGs, support integration of nutrition into targeted sensitization activities with focus on traditional leaders and other key stakeholders
Lead on Activities Related to SAM Detection and Referral:
- Provide technical support and guidance to CVs and LGA supervisors on SAM screening and referral for children U5.
- In collaboration with State Nutrition Officer and LGA PHC teams and other partners, keep track of the RUTF stock in Health Facilities and share updates with CVs and LGAs for referral.
- Conduct regular monitoring of nutrition activities, document findings and provide recommendations to inform improvements in programme implementation
- Ensure regular communication and sharing of lessons learned and challenges with the programme team and partners
- Participate in meetings, training and other assessment/events as required
- Plan logistics and materials needs for the activities to be carried out
Experience and Skills
- At least a B.A. in Programme Management, Health and Nutrition, or related Social Science.
- At least 2 years’ experience on Nutrition and community-based programs
- Previous experience with local or international NGOs.
- Computer literate.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work-plans and evaluate progress.
- Ability to build support from staff across teams and across members, and to build the capacity of others.
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other organizations’ staff.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal) in English and Hausa.
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility.
- Commitment to team working and understanding of how to contribute.
- Commitment to SCI’s mission, values and approach (includes child protection, equal opportunities and health and safety).
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds their team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in accordance with the context, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own professional development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a national and even regional scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, technical advisors and working groups, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- The post holder must commit to work in an international agency that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion and fights racism, gender inequality and discrimination in all forms; and to model positive behaviours that demonstrate a commitment to equality and respect to all colleagues, partners and communities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should click the link to apply on or before 8th December, 2021.
Save the Children
Click here to join our Telegram community
Click here to report a suspicious job posting
Subscribe to our mailing listSubscribe