Fashion Designer Job Description
A fashion designer is person whose job is to design clothing or fashion accessory. Many fashion designers specialize in a particular type of fashion wear such as skirts, bags, shoes, t-shirts, blazers, sportswear, belts or hats.
A fashion designer should be enthusiastic, imaginative, creative and confident, and have an eye for color, texture and pattern to conceive and develop excellent and unique fashion wear. They should also have networking skills and strong business acumen to promote and market their works, if they operate their own fashion design business.
Pursue a career in fashion design if you are an imaginative and creative person who has passion for fashion.
What does a Fashion Designer do?
Fashion designers may do all or some of the following:
- research fashion trends to acquire new fashion ideas
- attend runways or fashion shows
- plan the design of clothing or fashion accessory
- create sketches of ideas by hand or by using computer
- select materials for the work
- create an estimate for the work
- evaluate the initial design and make adjustments to create the final design
- oversee and supervise the production
- market the clothing or fashion accessory
Where does a Fashion Designer work?
Fashion designers usually work normal office hours, but may sometimes work long and irregular hours including evenings and weekends to meet deadlines. They work in offices, workrooms, factories or clothing shops. They may travel to attend fashion shows.
What is Required to Become a Fashion Designer ?
To become a fashion designer, you will need to complete a fashion design course in a fashion school or an apprenticeship with a skilled fashion designer. Experience is more important than academic qualifications in this field.
Just to give you an idea, some of the classes that you’ll be taking in a fashion school may include:
- Fashion history
- Design Essentials
- Fashion figure Drawing
- Survey of the Textile Industry
- Garment Structures
- CAD for Fashion Design
- History of Costumes & Textiles
- Fashion Design Problem Solving
- Fashion Illustration
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Fashion designers need to have:
- imagination and creativity
- monesty and integrity
- confidence and assertiveness
- good attention to detail
- good hand-eye co-ordination
- good communication skills
- good judgment and decision making skills
- analytical and problem solving skills
- time management and organizational skills
- megotiating and business management skills
- customer service skills
- designing and drawing skills
- sewing and pattern making skills
- research skills
- computer skills, including the ability to use computer-aided design (CAD) software
- the ability to work well independently and in a team
- the ability to keep calm under pressure
- the ability to be friendly and polite
- the ability to listen to their clients and anticipate their needs
- the ability to accept and respond well to criticism
- knowledge of fabric types, colors and fabric care
- knowledge of body shapes
- knowledge of current fashion trends and market requirements
Should I be a Fashion Designer ?
Take our career test to find out if this career is ideal for you!
- Graphic Designer
- Fine Artist
If this is your profession and you would like to add to or amend any of the information on this page, then please get in touch with us at mail[at]careersome[dot]com