Procurement Assistant at Save the Childrenwork Save the ChildrenplaceMaiduguriDate Posted: 2019-04-15
Save the Children, an international non-governmental organisation that promotes children's rights, provides relief and helps support children in developing countries, is hiring a Procurement Assistant in Maiduguri.
- The Procurement Assistant is responsible for supporting the Procurement processes to ensure effective, transparent and accountable support to the Save the Children programs in Borno State. Under the supervision of the Procurement Officer, the procurement Assistant assists in the management and administration of procurement cases on behalf of the logistics department in order to facilitate the smooth running of SCI programmes in Borno State.
- S/he is to ensure that orders for goods and services are processed promptly and good value for money is obtained according to the existing SCI Logistics Procedures.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Procurement Officer
- Staff directly reporting to this post: (Possibly) – Logistics Intern
Key Areas of Accountability
Procurement and Supply:
- Acknowledge and register Purchaser Requests received and where necessary provide initial feedback on costing estimates and delivery times.
- Receive and process local orders assigned by the Procurement Officer, checking that orders have been correctly filled, that quantity/specification is acceptable and that coding has been provided and the order has been properly authorized;
- Assist to prepare necessary requests for quotation for all required supplies, works and service providers, with all specifications, indicating closing dates to receive quotations, with strict adherence to SCI procedures, receive quotations for local procurement requirements and prepare a competitive bid analysis on the quotations and make recommendations to award a contract/purchase order, prepare required local purchase orders (LPOs) ensuring correctness and details of specifications, quantities and financial information for submission and approval.
- Where requested, with support from the PO help requesters develop good specifications, advising on availability, rough estimates, etc.
- Ensure compliance with SCI procurement procedures and in-country SoPs. Assist in the maintenance of the vendor roster and a price list.
- Ensure all procurement files are held in soft and hard copy, and completed files are correctly named.
- In liaison with the Warehouse Officer, coordinate the reception of goods from suppliers and follow up with suppliers / transporters on items missing or damaged in transit.
- Ensure that Purchase Orders are completed with PR details, delivery dates and times and are submitted to the warehouse before delivery of the goods.
- Assist to ensure prompt payment to suppliers is made promptly and that the finance department receives all the necessary documentation.
- Ensure procurement is undertaken in a timely manner to minimize disruption to programmes.
- Provide advance warnings of delays / shortages or other problems to the PO.
- Make sure that all suppliers are dealt with fairly and equally. Must never use her/his position for personal gain and should refuse any gifts that are offered by suppliers.
- Ensure items are never purchased from family members. If a conflict of interest arises you must request the involvement of an unbiased SCI colleague in relation to the specific order / issue.
- Ensure the receipt of all goods procured locally is properly recorded using the correct SCI documentation e.g. GRN and a copy is filed with the finance paperwork.
- When required, follow up with Abuja for procurement files not being processed locally, request on a regular basis an update on these files and update programme teams on the status of these procurement files.
- Manage supplier relationship up to delivery of goods / completion of services.
- Follow up with Finance office on outstanding payments files. In liaison with the PO trouble-shoot file incompleteness and/or inconsistencies.
- Maintain and keep up-to-date a hard documentation filling system for procurement files allowing easy reference for audit purposes.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, code of conduct, fraud, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
- Work in close collaboration with the finance and administration departments to ensure effective operations and strong team spirit.
- Carry out any other tasks required by the line manager in line with job description and capacity development plan.
- Maintain all Procurement files in an organized, accurate and up to date manner
- Produce weekly procurement tracker and send to PO and where necessary programme teams at field level
- Generate any other procurement related reports upon request (based on item category/donor/time/budget)
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills and Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of Education – Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Logistics or Business Administration or Economics
- Professional certification in Procurement an added advantage
- Must have completed NYSC
- Communication & Interpersonal Skill Level - Excellent
- Language Requirements – English and Hausa - Excellent
- Level of IT literacy Required – (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email system, Internet browsing) excellent
- Desired Number of Years Prior Experience in a Similar Role – 2
- Experience in procurement and logistics with INGO: Minimum 2 years
- Experience in a relatively insecure field based environment
- Experience working with Save the children
- Ability and willingness to travel to projects and stay in basic conditions when necessary
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply on or before 27th April, 2019.
Save the Children
Click here to join our Telegram community
Click here to report a suspicious job posting
Subscribe to our mailing listSubscribe
Find information about a company or warn innocent job seekers about scam companies. Click here for more information